Skip to content
Home » News & Events » When Should I See a Urogynecologist?

When Should I See a Urogynecologist?

Whenever you have a medical condition or a concerning issue, you want to see the very best medical professional you can find. You want someone who is highly trained with above average expertise. Some might call this person a specialist or someone highly skilled in a specific field. This describes a urogynecologist.

What Is a Urogynecologist?

A urogynecologist provides the best of two worlds with an in-depth knowledge of certain female issues. This specialist has studied both urology and gynecology with extra training and expertise in urinary incontinence, prolapse, and pelvic floor disorders.

A urogynecologist completes medical school and then a residency in obstetrics/gynecology or urology. In addition, they complete a 2 or 3 year fellowship in conditions concerning the pelvic floor.

In 2011 urogynecology became a sub-specialty, with the first physicians becoming board certified in 2013.

See a Urogynecologist for Incontinence

If coughing, laughing, or sneezing causes you to leak urine, see a urogynecologist like Dr. Wyman. Especially trained to care for stress incontinence and an overactive bladder, this symptom of a pelvic floor problem can be handled by a urogynecologist.

Maybe you’re already gone to your GYN or even a urologist with no lasting improvement. A urogynecologist is specially trained to help even when other treatments have failed.

See a Urogynecologist for Menopause Symptoms

The time from perimenopause through to menopause, a woman’s symptoms can become debilitating. From hot flashes, night sweats, mood changes, reduced libido, and vaginal dryness, this time is a nightmare for many women. A urogynecologist can help you find relief.

See a Urogynecologist for Frequent UTIs

If you have 2 or more urinary tract infections in 6 months or 3 or more within a year, it’s time to see a urogynecologist. Sometimes these UTIs can be symptomatic of other complex problems. Dr. Allison Wyman will perform non-invasive tests to determine the cause(s) before recommending treatments.

See a Urogynecologist for Pelvic Organ Prolapse

As women get older, the muscles in the pelvic area become weakened and some organs can fall. This can be a frightening scenario however, you are not alone—fifty percent of women will sustain pelvic organ prolapse (POP) in their lifetime.

A urogynecologist like Dr. Allison Wyman is specially trained in the most advanced procedures to treat POP.

Seek out the best for chronic pelvic pain, pain during intercourse, and all pelvic floor disorders.

Contact Florida Urogynecology Specialists at (941) 241-0161 if you want a professional diagnosis and treatment plan in Lakewood Ranch, FL.

Ready to get started?

Request an appointment with Dr. Wyman today!