Axonics Therapy in Bradenton, FL
First Certified Axonics Therapy UroGynceologist in the Sarasota Area
The Axonics System is a newly designed therapy aimed at helping individuals who struggle with bowel incontinence, overactive bladder, urinary retention, and other urinary issues. This therapy is performed using a small neurostimulator implant that can be repeatedly recharged and controlled by the patient for at least 15 years.
Dr. Allison Wyman is a board certified and fellowship trained urogynecologist who specializes in treating women experiencing urinary incontinence and pelvic floor disorders. She has extensive experience in minimally invasive surgical and non-surgical treatment options to offer women suffering with urinary incontinence and overactive bladder and can determine if Axonics Therapy is the best treatment for your condition. Dr. Wyman is also the first provider to be certified by both Interstim and Axonics in the Bradenton area. If you live near Sarasota, Venice, Lakewood Ranch, or Arcadia, call (941)-216-3602 to schedule an appointment at our urogynecology office in Bradenton, FL.
What Is Sacral Neuromodulation?
Normally, the bladder and bowel are stimulated through nerves of the sacral plexus, which is a network of nerve fibers that exist across the pelvis and lower limbs. If these nerves become damaged in any way, it can be incredibly difficult for the nerves to properly translate physical needs such as the urge to urinate. Accidental leakage of urine or feces is a common result, which of course can lead individuals to feel incredibly self-conscious and embarrassed by their condition.
Also commonly referred to as sacral nerve stimulation, this type of treatment focuses on restoring the functionality of the bowel and bladder that has been compromised in some way, whether it be due to a traumatic injury or simply a natural result of the body’s aging process. Sacral neuromodulation therapy is meant to give patients much more control over their bladder and bowel using electrical pulses that stimulate the organs at the patient’s discretion. Individuals need only press a button on their external remote control to activate the Axionics neurostimulator implant.
Axonics System Success Rates
As with any form of medical treatment, the ultimate goal is to improve the patient’s quality of life. Even if the results of sacral neuromodulation therapy are not able to restore the person’s bladder or bowel function entirely, the method has still proven highly effective in improving patient outcomes. In fact, 80% of those tested during clinical trials for the Axonics System reported improved changes in their urinary symptom interference 1 year after implantation. Even higher success rates were shown in subjects who utilized the system as a treatment therapy for overactive bladder (OAB).
Advantages of the Axonics System
There are many reasons why patients often select the Axonics System for sacral neuromodulation therapy over other treatment options, including:
- A pre-qualifying evaluation: Before the neurostimulator is implanted, Dr. Wyman will be able to perform a quick test to see how well the sacral nerves respond to electrical stimulation.
- Fast procedure: The implantation of the Axonics System takes approximately 1 hour, after which patients are able to return home so long as they do not present any concerning effects from the procedure.
- Long-lasting results: The Axionics neurostimulator is designed to function for 15 years or more and does not require any type of battery replacement surgery during this lifespan.
- Easy ongoing maintenance: Patients are able to charge their neurostimulator using a wireless system. The charging system only needs to be used every 1 to 2 weeks for approximately 1 hour in order to fully recharge the device.
- Convenient control: The remote control that comes with each neurostimulator is small and easily allows patients to increase or decrease the amount of nerve stimulation given by their device. This remote also shows an alert whenever the battery of the Axonics neurostimulator needs to be recharged.
When Is the Right Time for Treatment?
Many patients will explore sacral neuromodulation therapy after experiencing little to no success with more conservative treatments. While this process is common, there are also several individuals who prefer to take quicker action against their urinary or bowel condition using this proven method of treatment. Ultimately, the decision is left to the patient, though Dr. Wyman can provide key insights to help evaluate the potential success of the Axonics System for a particular individual.
Schedule a Consultation with an Axonics Specialist in Bradenton & Sarasota, FL
Don’t let changes of your urinary system control your life, contact Dr. Allison Wyman to discuss the cause of your condition and your candidacy with Axonics Therapy. To learn more about sacral neuromodulation therapy and schedule a consultation at our urogynecology office in Bradenton, please call (941) 216-3602 or request an appointment through our secure online form. We are conveniently located to patients throughout Sarasota, Venice, Lakewood Ranch, and Arcadia.